ICC Prosecutor requesting investigation into post-election violence in KenyaNovember 5, 2009 # 10:25 am # Armed Conflict, Foreign Policy, Human Rights, International Law, International Organizations # No Comment
The International Criminal Court’s chief prosecutor says he believes crimes against humanity were committed in last year’s post-election violence in Kenya and he is requesting an investigation.
The prosecutor for the International Criminal Court Luis Moreno Ocampo, left, shakes hands with Kenyan President Mwai Kibak in Nairobi, Kenya, 5 Nov. 2009
In a press conference with President Mwai Kibaki and Prime Minister Raila Odinga on Thursday, prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said he would present his request to ICC judges in December.
Moreno-Ocampo has said he will make Kenya “a world example” on managing violence.
He has said he will pursue “those most responsible” for the riots and ethnic violence that killed about 1,300 people in early 2008.
Neither Kenya nor the ICC has named the suspects but the list is believed to include some high-ranking Kenyan officials.
Kenya has said the ICC is free to prosecute the suspects, after Kenyan leaders failed on efforts to set up a local tribunal.
The African country suffered weeks of violence following a disputed presidential election in December 2007. Critics say Mr. Kibaki stole the election from Mr. Odinga through fraud.
Former U.N. chief Kofi Annan helped mediate a power-sharing agreement that promised sweeping governmental reforms and ended the dispute.
Along with electoral reforms, the sides pledged to fight widespread corruption and reform the constitution, judiciary, and police.
In a visit to Kenya in September, Mr. Annan warned that if Kenya does not tackle the root causes of last year’s violence before the next election in 2012, the country could plunge into chaos again.