International Court of Justice to issue its Advisory Opinion on Kosovo’s unilateral declaration of independence on July 22July 14, 2010 # 8:43 pm # Human Rights # No Comment
Press Release Unofficial
No. 2010/21 14 July 2010
Accordance with International Law of the Unilateral Declaration of Independence by the Provisional Institutions of Self-Government of Kosovo (Request for Advisory Opinion)
The Court to deliver its Advisory Opinion on Thursday 22 July at 3 p.m. Live video streaming of the reading to be provided
THE HAGUE, 14 July 2010. On Thursday 22 July 2010, the International Court of Justice (ICJ), the principal judicial organ of the United Nations, will deliver its Advisory Opinion on the question of the Accordance with International Law of the Unilateral Declaration of Independence by the Provisional Institutions of Self-Government of Kosovo (request for advisory opinion).
A public sitting will be held at 3 p.m. at the Peace Palace in The Hague, during which the President of the Court, Judge Hisashi Owada, will read out the Advisory Opinion.
History of the proceedings
The history of the proceedings can be found in Press Releases 2009/27 of 29 July 2009 and 2009/34 of 11 December 2009, available on the Court’s website: www.icj-cij.org.
NOTE TO THE DIPLOMATIC CORPS, PRESS AND GENERAL PUBLIC
1. The public sitting will be held in the Great Hall of Justice of the Peace Palace, which will be reserved for participants in the proceedings and members of the Diplomatic Corps. The media will be accommodated in a press centre located in the Peace Palace library. The general public will be allocated a limited number of seats in the Historical Reading Room of the Peace Palace, where the reading of the Advisory Opinion will be broadcast live.
2. The sitting will be video-streamed live, in full on the Court’s website (www.icj-cij.org) from 3 p.m. local time (GMT +2), in the two official languages of the Court: French and English. Please note that occasional breaks in transmission may occur due to congestion on the Court’s website. If this happens, please wait and try to reconnect later. Those wishing to access the recorded webcast of the reading are invited to click on the temporary “Video On Demand” (VOD) link on the Court’s website. This link will be deactivated three months after the reading, at midnight on 22 October 2010.
3. At the end of the sitting, a Press Release, a summary of the Advisory Opinion and the full text of the Advisory Opinion will be distributed to those attending. These documents will also be available on the Court’s website.
4. The representatives of participants in the proceedings and other members of the Diplomatic Corps will be informed shortly, by Note Verbale, of the measures taken to enable them to attend the reading. Please note that, due to the limited capacity of the Great Hall of Justice, only a restricted number of admission badges can be allocated. States and organizations which have received one or more badges are kindly asked to inform the Registry of the names of the individuals who will be attending the sitting, by e-mail to the Information Department at: email@example.com.
5. An online accreditation procedure will open for the Media at 4.30 p.m. on Wednesday 14 July 2010, on the Court’s website. Details of this procedure are provided in the attached Media Advisory. The accreditation procedure will close at midnight on Monday 19 July 2010. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Please note that the Court cannot assist accredited media representatives in obtaining visas.
6. Groups and individual visitors are subject to an online admission procedure which will open at 4.30 p.m. on Wednesday 14 July 2010. They are required to fill in one of the two forms provided on the Court’s website (to the right of the screen under “Calendar”, click on “Attending a hearing” and follow the instructions given). This procedure will close at midnight on Monday 19 July 2010. Please note that only a limited number of seats are available.
Mr. Andrey Poskakukhin, First Secretary of the Court, Head of Department (+31 (0)70 302 2336) Mr. Boris Heim, Information Officer (+31 (0)70 302 2337) Ms Joanne Moore, Associate Information Officer (+31 (0)70 302 2394)